Thursday 13 October 2016

17 - Madrid, I miss you too.

A friend sent this to me when I was packing, ready to move far away from Madrid. Great idea if you want your friend to shed tears around the room. 


All capital cities put a spell on us, including Madrid. 

I have always loved to explore off-the-beaten-track areas. The dirty and tiny bars, the green spots to lay and get a sun tan, the narrow streets in the city centre, the parks, the viewpoints to admire the city skyline at dawn... How many times have I taken my “guiri” friends or strangers to all those hidden gems and shared with them my tips and secrets about this city that has adopted me for thirteen years? So many. And I will always be grateful to heart to Madrid and its dwellers (despite what is said about the MadrileƱos, that they often look down on people).

With this idea in mind, I started thinking about the perception that I keep of the city from my perspective as a Spanish person not born in the capital, and also about the impression that people from other nationalities who have lived here have.
It is very interesting to give voice to those who have no previous deep knowledge on a certain culture and local customs, and ask them to share their impressions after a few months.

Therefore, I chose a small group of young Americans I met in Madrid some years ago while they were doing an exchange program and coming to the city for their very first time. 
I asked them to share with me some negative and positive features that they would highlight about their experience in Madrid -first thing that would come to their minds withouth over thinking. 

Therefore, four American college students are given the opportunity to travel to Madrid during a semester to get to know the culture, the language, the people, etc. Nowadays, they are immersed in the American culture again.

The automatic thought that brough them back to their time in Madrid had the following results/reviews.

1) Positive- amazing city, friendly people, so much to explore/see/do. Awesome nightlife, great food, and fantastic public transportation both in the city and to outer areas.

Negative- Madrid is expensive! Also, based on my time there, there were a lot of demonstrations/strikes.

2) Positive- how clean and easy the metro was to use around the city.

Negative-  how difficult it was for me to find peanut butter.

3) Positive- I loved going to intercambios to practice my Spanish. This was one of my favorite experiences, and it helped me to meet many friends.

Negative- I’m not a party-scene person, so it was difficult adjusting to the late-night start of the bars/discos. I prefer going out for a drink and going home by 11 at night, which is when a lot of the parties begin.

4) Positive- I loved how easy it was to get around the city. Exploring every neighbourhood, getting lost on the way but discovering places, food, bars was the best part of my time in Madrid.

Negative- I had a hard time finding food I really loved. Mostly because I love spice and Spanish food is much more mild than what I'm used to.



No comments:

Post a Comment