Sunday 20 November 2016

19 - London pride.

My love for London cannot be hidden -although I can easily hide myself in London-. However, I know that for most people it is a love/hate relationship. Foreign people has it as a favourite short-term holiday destination, being considered a vibrant place, full of life and culture and beauty. On the other hand, I feel that many British have a sense of anti-londonism because their capital turns out to be anything but British. Quite a paradox.



The city of the anonymity, home of Jack the Ripper, afterwork pub culture, markets, tattoes and piercings, Erasmus parties, high heels and tight dresses, double decker buses, free entry museums and, of course, the mist and the rain.

In August I had the chance to visit the Museum of London with my Spanish friends and, at times, by myself walking at my own pace. I could then experience and carefully "taste" the reproductions, drawings, audios, videos and stories that the museum offers to the attentive visitor. 
I certainly have my own thoughts and favourite quotes about London. However, I feel the urge to remember and to write down what different people have previously said about the city, which was exhibited in the museum. 

Here are the top ones:

She swarns with people of all ages, natures, sexes callings... She seems to be a glutton, for she desires always to be full. (Donald Lupton, London and the country Carbonadoed, 1632)

London never stands still. Buildings rise and fall. Its character evolves. The choices Londoners made in the past affect us all today - just as our choices will help shape London´s future. (Panel from museum of London)

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life. (Samuel Johnson, 1777)

I still think the parade of peoples and colours and tongues just about the best thing in London. (Glynn Roberts, 1933)

'(...) That I love London so
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
That I think of her wherever I go
I get a funny feeling inside of me
When walking up and down (...)
(Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner, Hubert Gregg, 1947)

(...) I love dis great polluted place
Where pop stars come to live their dreams
Here ravers come for drum and bass
And politicians plan their schemes (...)
(The London Breed 1988. Benjamin Zephaniah)


No comments:

Post a Comment