Tuesday 9 May 2017

20 - Storytelling: generation Y.


"A Millennial is the name given to the generation born between 1982 and 2004. The Millennial generation follows Generation X in order of demographic cohorts. This generation is often associated with technology and social media. Also known as Generation Y."

Millennial Definition by Investopedia


I´m only 31-I was born in 1985- but let me take on grandma´s role and recall some stories.

One of my friends was born in India but he left his country after his undergrad studies, looking for a better and independent life. He succeeded and settled in Western Europe years ago. Publishing, editing, surfing and listening to house music is all what he needs to be happy in his new home country. You cannot guess where he is from by his features and everytime he travels to India he is hardly recognised by the local people. Let alone, he doesn´t master the local languages! A paradox: feeling like a stranger in your country and feeling like at home in a strange land.

My example number two is originally from Spain, but she has lived in North America for many years. She was a nice girl, but everytime I chatted with her I came to the same conclussion: she was depressed most of the times, neither happy with her studies nor with her personal life. I felt bad for her, but there was not much I could do, to be honest. After nearly 10 years living in yankiland I can assure that America is the right fit for her. Despite the lack of many values, Americans are positive by nature and lovers of second chances. No, she doesn´t have any plan to stop leaving her personal American dream, and I wish her the best.

He was born in Mumbai, and he moved to Europe years ago to take a Master's Program that helped him to find his current job in a very important bank. He is very much supported and loved in India where his relatives and childhood friends praise his professional success, but there is no way he would move back to India for good. He still loves cricket and basmati rice, but he doesn´t plan to marry an Indian woman nor to leave aside the land that taught him how to drink beer like a pro - unless the Brexit takes its toll.

Those lives are not exhilarating, not even stimulating models to follow. It was not my intention to entertain you like motivational speakers/writers do. I just wanted to present some ordinary lives of millennial expats that live happily in this ordinary, globalised world of ours. Because to me, the extraordinary is that we survive to the ordinary. 



No comments:

Post a Comment